The Family

Me - Mum and wife, part time PA, small time collector of vintage china , amateur singer and actress, cross-stitcher, cook and cake baker.

Hubby - Dad and husband, computer fixer, dress maker, Lego builder, tenor and fez wearer. Loves his food except celery and basil.

DD - pre- teen daughter, bright, beautiful, talented, sporty, kind, honest, loving and funny. Knows what she likes and what she doesn't but tastes are getting wider as she gets older.

Monday 30 July 2012

Slow Roast Marmalade Pork

This is a gorgeous recipe that I found in a Sainsbury's magazine.

It is a Jamie Oliver recipe and I have made it several times over the two years I have had it.

I can't find a link to the original recipe so am posting it here from the magazine

Serves 8-10 (with leftovers if you're lucky!!)

Ingredients
1 x 5.5kg neck end of shoulder of pork or 2 x 1.75kg boneless pork shoulder joints
Olive oil
1/2 x 340g jar good quality fine shred orange marmalade
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt

Method

  • Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 4/180C
  • Place the pork in a large roasting tray and score the skin (I get my butcher Mr Pargiter to do this for me)
  • Drizzle over the olive oil and rub in
  • Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Roast for about 5 hours or until pork is tender and shreds easily
  • Remove from oven
  • Mix the marmalade with a teaspoon of black pepper and spoon this all over the pork
  • Put the pork back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so until it golden and glazed
  • Remove from oven and let it rest for at least 30 minutes covered loosely with foil
  • When ready to serve shred the pork and the crackling, drizzle over some of the sticky juices and serve on a large platter.

That is the original recipe, I now cook it slightly differently, in that I have the oven at 100C and cook the meat for 12 hours, then I turn it up to 200C for 30 minutes before adding the glaze.  I also add a few chili flakes to the glaze

I have done this both for buffets and for a Sunday roast and each time it has been very well received and demolished - sometimes I have leftovers sometimes I don't!

I made this for a Sunday lunch with Husband, DD, Mum, her Husband and my Best Friend yesterday and again they all loved it and I do have leftovers so am trying to decide how best to use them up

Watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. Try Pork Oriental (serves 4)

    I have been making this Sweet n' Sour dish for over 40 years. I have used the basic recipe with stewing pork, pork chops, chicken legs and chicken breasts (with reduce cooking time). I've also and found it works well with leftover chicken or pork added with the pineapple pieces toward the end of cooking

    Ingredients (imperial measurements)
    1½ lb stewing pork* cut into I inch pieces
    (OR use left over cooked pork/chicken skip steps 3 & add meat at step 7)
    2 tbs oil
    1 large onion cut into rough chunks
    1 oz Plain flour
    sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
    ½ pint water
    I large de-seeded sliced green pepper
    1 tin (8oz) pineapple pieces
    1 tb white wine vinegar
    2 tbs soy sauce
    1 chicken OXO/stock cube

    Method
    1. Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish.
    2. Fry onion until slightly brown, remove from pan.
    3. Put flour, S&P in large plastic bag & mix together. Toss cubed pork in flour mix. Fry floured pork in oil until brown all over
    *(skip this stage if using left over pork/chicken).
    4. Mix in any remaining flour, water, cooked onion, green pepper, liquid drained from the pineapple, vinegar, soy sauce, and chicken stock cube.
    5. Bring to the boil stirring. Add more seasoning to taste.
    6. Cover & simmer gently for 1½ hrs (this can be done in the oven) until pork is cooked.
    7. After 1¼ hrs add the pineapple pieces and cook for a further 15 minutes.
    *(if using, add left over pork/chicken this stage)
    8. Serve with plain white rice

    ReplyDelete